[PyQt] pyqtdeploy (win32): generated console exe crashes with LookupError: unknown encoding

Marius Shekow marius.shekow at fit.fraunhofer.de
Mon Nov 9 19:11:39 GMT 2015

Hi,

I'm on Windows 8 and I'm trying to get my Python 3 PyQt application
working as a redistributable executable. I've been able to create the
exe file using pyqtdeploy successfully. I'm using sip and PyQt 5.5.1 as
static builds, Qt and Python 3.4.3 as dynamic builds. I'm using MSVS
2012 for compilation.

When I start the executable (and the console option in pyqtdeploy is
disabled), simply nothing happens (no window is shown and I don't know
how to get debug output in this case). That's why I enabled the console
option in pyqtdeploy. However, then the exe file always immediately
crashes with the following error:

Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
LookupError: unknown encoding: cp850

Please note that it doesn't matter whether I chcp the code page to
something else (in particular 65001, which doesn't work either, I'll
just get "LookupError: unknown encoding: cp65001").

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Marius Shekow
--
Marius Shekow
Mixed and Augmented Reality Solutions, Fraunhofer FIT