[PyQt] porting PyQt4 to PyQt5 on OSX - cursor icon not changing over QSplitter

Timothy Grove tim_grove at sil.org
Sat Sep 19 09:23:16 BST 2015

I'm porting an application from PyQt4 to PyQt5 on Mac OSX (Mavericks).
Generally a good experience, but I'm seeing a few strange behaviours that I
haven't been able to work around; possibly due to accessing the window id
of the widget in my video player, or possibly a GIL release issue?

*1. The cursor doesn't change when moved over a splitter handle. *This
"might" be related to a "closed' issue where a widget's window id was
accessed with the widget in a QSplitter [
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-33479], but might it also be related
to not releasing the GIL? I'm using the python bindings for VLC [
https://wiki.videolan.org/Python_bindings] which uses the window id to make
the link between VLC and a widget for video display; in my case, a QLabel.
I've also tried replacing VLC use with QVideoWidget from
PyQt5.QtMultimediaWidgets, but with similar results. Before a video is
loaded I can see the expected change in cursor icon over the splitter
handle, but once a video has loaded - no change.

Using Macports Mavericks (10.9.5):
python3.4 @3.4.3_5
qt5-mac @5.4.2_1
py34-sip @4.16.9_0