[PyQt] Experimental PyQt5 v5.6 Wheels Available

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:51:17 BST 2016

> On 9 Apr 2016, at 6:54 pm, Detlev Offenbach <detlev at die-offenbachs.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install the Linux wheel on openSUSE Leap 42.1 but got this output.
>>
>> pip install PyQt5-5.6.dev1604091249-cp35-cp35m-li
>> nux_x86_64.whl
>> PyQt5-5.6.dev1604091249-cp35-cp35m-linux_x86_64.whl is not a supported wheel on this platform.
>> It seems the wheel is built for Python 3.5 but openSuse seems to be at Python 3.4. Providing wheels could mean to support multiple Python versions. Here is a short summary of the various Python versions of my (virtual) Linux machines.
>>
>> openSUSE 42.1:                Python 3.4
>> Ubuntu 15.10:         Python 3.4
>> Mint 17.3:                    Python 3.4
>> Fedora 23:                    Python 3.4
>>
>> What was the reason to create Linux wheels for Python 3.5?
>
> ...because that's the latest version.

While I absolutely love that you're making these wheels available, I'm
not sure I buy this argument. Wouldn't it make sense to stick to
Python 3.4 since it's so prevalent in current distro releases?

> If you are using the distro supplied version of Python then you might as well use the distro version of PyQt.

Hm, I would think most people who want to use these wheels are
interested in getting the latest Qt + PyQt, not necessarily upgrading
Python. I think lowering the requirement to 3.4 would make using the
wheels easier for a whole lot of people.

Well, in any case and no matter what is decided, awesome job with these wheels!

Elvis