[PyQt] Bytes values in QSettings

Dmitry Shachnev mitya57 at ubuntu.com
Sat Aug 20 18:47:12 BST 2016

Hi,

I have got a bug report in Debian [1] complaining about storing bytes
values in QSettings.

I tested it myself and indeed it does not seem to work (with PyQt v5.7,
sip v4.18.1):

  $ python3
  Python 3.5.2+ (default, Aug  7 2016, 13:57:22)
  >>> from PyQt5.QtCore import QSettings
  >>> s = QSettings('foo')
  >>> s.setValue('baz', b'bytestring')
  >>> s.sync()
  QVariant::save: unable to save type 'void*' (type id: 31).

Wrapping the value in a QByteArray does work correctly.

Is that expected behavior or a bug?

The bug report says it is a recent regression, however I got the same
with PyQt v5.6. I did not test with earlier sip versions, though.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/834875

--
Dmitry Shachnev