[PyQt] PYQt and C++ documentation

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Fri Dec 16 21:05:13 GMT 2016

On 2016-12-16 14:15, Simon, Stuart A. wrote:
> My name is Stuart Simon. I am new to PyQt and want to point out
> something
> I don't quite understand about the documentation. A lot of it is merely
> cross-linked to C++ documentation. What is not clear to me is if PyQt
> generally implements the same properties, methods, and classes as C++
> Qt,
> or if the documentation is very incomplete. If the plan is to document
> only what is different from C++, then that needs to be stated clearly
> in
> the documentation.

https://riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/intro
"PyQt is a set of Python v2 and v3 bindings"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_binding

So, without links, PyQt allows you to interact with Qt's C++ code from
Python.  It mostly just provides a means to call the Qt C++ code so the
C++ documentation is mostly the right place to look.  PyQt documentation
for that would be almost entirely redundant.  The exceptions are things
like being able to pass Python types in place of their C++/Qt types, but
that's not worth a second copy of every class' documentation.

Some might say, as you asked, that PyQt 'implements the same properties'
etc, but for me that misses the deeper understanding of a binding vs. a
library.

Does this help clear anything up for you?

Cheers,
-kyle