[PyQt] Learning Qt5 designer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 30 21:01:32 GMT 2016

   I'm trying to develop the UI for an application I'm developing using the
Qt5 designer. I've read most of the old (2007) Qt4 book and have read some
of the Qt5 tutorial pages on their web site without finding answers to my
questions.

   Now I have a dialog under development to hold information about companies.
I've placed plain text edit and label widgets on there, made the appropriate
pairs buddies, and surrounded each row's worth of widgets with a vertical
layout. This worked OK when there was only a single label-text entry widget
in the layout, but not with a more complex one.

   There's a row containing labels and plain test data entry widgets for
city, state, postcode, and country. When I ctrl-click on all 8 items and
drag a horizontal layout over them it expands to fill the monitor's width,
widening the small space for 'state' and 'postcode' data entry widgets. By
trial-and-error I am able to select the state text edit widget, bring it to
the front using the menu on the left, but cannot shrink the horizontal size
back to what it was.

   Please point me to a reference on how to do this so I can adjust other
text entry widges that the layout expanded.

Rich