[PyQt] future of (py)qt desktop

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Wed Jan 6 14:27:09 GMT 2016

On Sri, 2016-01-06 at 13:16 +0100, Florian Bruhin wrote:

> The traditional Qt widgets work very well (and if you look at your
> favourite Qt desktop applications, chances are that's what they use).

OK.

> Looking at e.g. http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/log/src/widgets
> you'll also notice they are still developed, though certainly they're
> more or less considered "done". But still then, even for new stuff
> like QtWebEngine, the widgets API is usually more featureful than the
> QML one.

So, for now there is no fear they are going to be deprecated?

> You can also use QML/QtQuick inside Qt Widgets, and there are things
> like PyOtherSide if you want to go the QML route.

Well, afaict, I believe that QML is still not proper replacement for the
desktop, but more like e.g. Kivy.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good
or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it,