[PyQt] future of (py)qt desktop

Mathias.Born at gmx.de Mathias.Born at gmx.de
Thu Jan 7 20:00:48 GMT 2016

-----------

Hi,

this is an interesting discussion for me, because I'm planning to port a big application from Python2+PyGtk 32bit to Python3+PyQt 64bit.
I had a look at some QtQuick and QML examples which come with PyQt.
I'm not really sure if I should use this technique because it has pros and cons (in my opinion):
+ GUI part is completely separated from the Python code.
+ QtQuick/QML is fast, even on slow devices.
- I have to learn new syntax (QML+JS)
- Many examples seem to be for older versions of QtQuick/QML. So using the features of the latest versions is hard to implement.

Using the Designer and writing everything in Python would be the straight forward way for porting, but is it the right one?
The application has to handle lots of data, list views and tree views with many entries and complex graphics views.
Is the recommended way to use QtQuick/QML? The problem I'm facing with this technique is that start developing with it is hard.
Although the examples look clear and easy, but when I'm trying to create GUIs with QML I'm running into many problems.
Is there a comprehensive tutorial or good book available which goes into detail?

Best regards, Martin