[PyQt] Qt Creator / Designer extensibility

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Thu Jan 14 22:20:02 GMT 2016

Hi!

Today there was a post on c.l.p.a about a plug-in for Qt Creator.
This triggered me now to ask a question that I have been wondering for
some time.
Qt Designer is one of the best GUI designers available.
Would it be possible to extend Qt Designer/Creator to a RAD tool in the
style of e.g. Visual BASIC (6.0)?
E.g.:
  - draw a form
  - place some controls on it
  - select e.g. a text control, select an event like "changed"
  - directly edit some code or a method to be executed on the changed event
The point is that currently it's easy to write a Python program for e.g.
equipment control or data analysis, but adding a simple GUI with some
text inputs and buttons is out of scope for most people.
If you wonder about the relevance, just ask yourself what tool the most
people use for text processing. Is it TeX or is it MS Word? Nobody wants
to read reference manuals, so the tool of the majority of people is not
something like TeX but something which can be controlled with the mouse.
And if you want to switch from one GUI word processor to another, you
can do so without reading a manual.
Back to GUIs: if you know how to program in BASIC, you can be taught to
implement a simple GUI in Visual BASIC 6 within a few minutes and if you
want to implement the next GUI a year later, you still will not have to
(re-)read a manual.
For Python there's no such tool, which makes it hard to sell Python as a
solution in many areas.

For wx there are or were some tools which tried, but to my knowledge
none of these really reached the required state of features, maturity
and maintenance.

(If you wonder about my references to VB6: you probably won't believe
how many VB6 programs are still in use for e.g. measurement and control.
Microsoft did forget to provide real a migration path. Unfortunately I
had to fix and maintain some of these 'solutions'.)

Regards,

Dietmar