[PyQt] Qt Creator / Designer extensibility

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Fri Jan 15 21:29:13 GMT 2016

On 15.01.2016 18:00, Detlev Offenbach wrote:

> Why not use an IDE made for Python and Qt development? The eric IDE
> could be the tool of choice (http://eric-ide.python-projects.org).

Of course I know Eric, at least from the newsgroup announcements and the
screenshots. Actually I'm using a different IDE which is also
implemented in Qt.
Nowadays, I would not recommend programming Python without a decent IDE
as it boost productivity, especially when it allows to code at the
debugger breakpoint.

Probably Eric is the IDE with the best Qt support, as it has some
assistants to implement message boxes etc..
But that's still not a GUI builder for the casual programmer (or "domain
expert" as someone on c.l.p. names such people).
Or am I mistaken here? Does it have more support?

My experience with Qt Creator is very limited. I did use it some years
ago to get into Qt when I wanted to write some software for my N900
phone. The software is still alive on a Jolla phone today, but I have
not been using Qt Creator for years.

I think it's still the same procedure nowadays:
  a) design the GUI
  b) save it to .ui
  c) compile it to .py
  d) write another .py file which imports the other .py file, defines
the app, calls setupUI, ...

Well, now imagine a colleague who asks you "Can I use Python to
implement a GUI program for doing some measurements?"
Just demo the above procedure. At a) and b) everything is fine. At c)
you will get some strange looks. At d) your colleague will ask you
whether there is a different tool.
For a start, probably steps b to d could be handled by an IDE even
without too tight integration into Qt Creator. Maybe the Python code
created from the ui file could look a bit nicer than I remember it.

Regards,

Dietmar