[PyQt] Qt 5.5.1 + PyQt5 configure .. Error: Unable to create the C++ code.

dl dl.lists at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 15 22:55:45 GMT 2016

I'm a newcomer to this forum.
I am starting to use Qt 5 for development on Ubuntu 14.04 (32bit).
I managed to get Qt 5.2.1 + PyQt working earlier and run some basic test
apps in Qt Creator.

While attempting to install latest eric6 IDE I encountered this ..
/"Sorry, you must have Qt version 4.8.0 or better or 5.3.0 or//better"./

So I decided to upgrade to Qt 5.5.1 and then install latest PyQt snapshot.
I purged all older Qt versions and now have Qt 5.5 Creator working as
before.

My current problem is getting Qt5.5.1 + latest PyQt5 working.

I have both python2 and python3 installed to choose from.

After running ... python3 configure.py ... I received this report.

    /...
    Do you accept the terms of the license? yes
    Found the license file pyqt-gpl.sip.
    Checking to see if the QtGui module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtHelp module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtMultimedia module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtMultimediaWidgets module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtNetwork module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtOpenGL module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtPrintSupport module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtQml module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtQuick module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtSql module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtSvg module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtTest module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWebKit module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWebKitWidgets module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWidgets module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtXml module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtXmlPatterns module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtDesigner module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QAxContainer module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtDBus module should be built...
    Checking to see if the _QOpenGLFunctions_2_0 module should be built...
    Checking to see if the _QOpenGLFunctions_2_1 module should be built...
    Checking to see if the _QOpenGLFunctions_4_1_Core module should be
    built...
    Checking to see if the QtSensors module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtSerialPort module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtX11Extras module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtBluetooth module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtMacExtras module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtPositioning module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWinExtras module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtQuickWidgets module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWebSockets module should be built...
    Checking to see if the Enginio module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWebChannel module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtWebEngineWidgets module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtLocation module should be built...
    Checking to see if the QtNfc module should be built...
    Checking to see if the dbus support module should be built...
    *Qt v5.5.1 (Open Source) is being used.*
    The qmake executable is /usr/bin/qmake.
    Qt is built as a shared library.
    *SIP 4.17.1-snapshot-e81b379b1518 is being used.*
    The sip executable is /usr/bin/sip.
    These PyQt5 modules will be built: QtCore, QtGui, QtHelp, QtMultimedia,
    QtMultimediaWidgets, QtNetwork, QtOpenGL, QtPrintSupport, QtQml,
    QtQuick,
    QtSql, QtSvg, QtTest, QtWebKit, QtWebKitWidgets, QtWidgets, QtXml,
    QtXmlPatterns, QtDesigner, QtDBus, _QOpenGLFunctions_2_0,
    _QOpenGLFunctions_2_1, _QOpenGLFunctions_4_1_Core, QtSensors,
    QtSerialPort,
    QtX11Extras, QtBluetooth, QtPositioning, QtQuickWidgets, QtWebSockets,
    QtWebChannel, QtWebEngineWidgets, QtLocation, QtNfc.
    The PyQt5 Python package will be installed in
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages.
    PyQt5 is being built with generated docstrings.
    PyQt5 is being built with 'protected' redefined as 'public'.
    The Designer plugin will be installed in /opt/qt55/plugins/designer.
    The qmlscene plugin will be installed in /opt/qt55/plugins/PyQt5.
    The dbus support module will be installed in
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/dbus/mainloop.
    The PyQt5 .sip files will be installed in /usr/share/sip/PyQt5.
    pyuic5, pyrcc5 and pylupdate5 will be installed in /usr/bin.
    The interpreter used by pyuic5 is /usr/bin/python3.
    *Generating the C++ source for the QtCore module...**
    **Error: Unable to create the C++ code.*

Can you advise how to progress beyond the "unable to create the C++
code" error in configure?
i.e. to configure / make / install PyQt5 latest snapshot (with latest
SIP snapshot).

I have searched around and some other users have reported this Error.

Here is output from qtchooser ...

    qtchooser -print-env
    QT_SELECT="default"
    QTTOOLDIR="/opt/qt55/bin"
    QTLIBDIR="/opt/qt55/li"

I did notice that the value of QTLIBDIR is truncated and surely should
be  "/opt/qt55/li*b*".   Is this a clue?

dl