[PyQt] Roadmap, Future Releases etc.

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Mon Jan 25 06:44:52 GMT 2016

* Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> [2016-01-24 16:17:26 +0000]:
> > On 24 Jan 2016, at 2:46 pm, Scott Kitterman <debian at kitterman.com> wrote:
> > On January 24, 2016 9:30:00 AM EST, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> >> related to how you plan to support QtWebKit in the future. According to
> >> info given by qt.io this will not be included in the Qt installers
> >> starting from Qt 5.6 anymore. However, I think there are quite a few
> >> people around that would like to use it (e.g. with eric) but don't want
> >> to install a complete C++ development environment just to compile it on
> >> Windows. Any idea how to deal with this situation without causing pains
> >> on either side?
> >>
> >> Sorry no. If qt.io don't want the burden of providing it then I
> >> certainly don't want to take it on. I'm not saying I agree with their
> >> decision, but I'm not in the position of being able to provide a
> >> solution.
> >
> > AIUI, they are still providing source releases.  You're going to continue to support that, right?
>
> Yes, if they are part of the official release. If not then I won't do anything to break things, but they won't be officially supported.

The latest 5.6 beta release doesn't have QtWebKit in its source
release, and from what I've heard, this won't change.

I'm not so worried about Windows myself (I'll probably just stick to
Qt 5.5 there - I don't think updates in Qt itself beyond 5.5 will be
relevant), and I hope Linux distributions will still build PyQt5 with
webkit support (at least those which have Calibre or Eric packaged).

Of course I hope to have QtWebEngine support ready as soon as
possible, but that's a bit more difficult than I originally
anticipated 2 years ago. It's definitely not the claimed drop-in
replacement ;)

Florian