[PyQt] PYQt defaults to fonts looking bold on macOS but C++ Qt does not

Barry Scott barry at barrys-emacs.org
Tue Jul 26 17:20:29 BST 2016

On Tuesday, 26 July 2016 13:10:36 BST Barry Scott wrote:
> > On 6 Jul 2016, at 11:50, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > On 6 Jul 2016, at 11:26 am, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
> >> Compare the windows snapshots taken for a PyQt5 app and a C++ Qt5 app
> >> that use a QLabel control.
> >>
> >> http://www.barrys-emacs.org/export/Qt5.png
> >>
> >> http://www.barrys-emacs.org/export/PyQt5.png
> >>
> >> You can see that the text in PyQt5 looks like it is bold compared to the
> >> Qt5 version.
> >>
> >> On Fedora I see that same text for Qt5 and PyQT5.
> >>
> >> Please fix this problem in PyQt5.
> >>
> >> The source code I used is in:
> >>
> >> http://barrys-emacs.org/export/font-example.tar.gz
> >>
> >> Note: This bug affects all text, list, tables, line edit everything.
> >
> > ...on your system. It works fine for me. PyQt does nothing with fonts.
>
> Phil,
>
> I know what macOS preference changes this behaviour.
>
> In "System Preferences…”, “General” there is a property,
> “Use LCD font smoothing when available” (bottom of the dialog).
> If this is ticked PyQt5 text is bold in appearance.
> When it is not ticked it looks normal.
>
> But this setting does not change the output of a Qt5 C++ app.
>
> Can you reproduce this problem now?

Now I can show command line PyQt5 program shows bold text but
command line C++ app does not.

Have I done enough to show that this is a problem with PyQt5 responding
in an undesirable way to LCD smoothing option? And that its not a quirk of
my Mac.

I am assuming that you can reproduce the problem I'm reporting with the
LCD smoothing option enabled.

Barry