[PyQt] Development experience for mixed Python + QML applications

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sun May 8 09:41:30 BST 2016

Hi all,

At the moment I'm working on a mixed Python + QML application (the HMI
of an analysis machine), where the backend is written as QObjects and
made available to the QML parts.

I find that it's an excellent combination, but the experience when
writing the code a bit lacking. I find myself having the fine PyCharm
IDE open for working on the Python parts, and Qt Creator for the QML
parts (since it gives auto-completion and some refactoring
capabilities with QML).

Since The Qt Company has a strong focus on C++, and are unlikely to
build a capable Python IDE, does anyone know if there's work in
progress on, or even plans for, an integrated environment for PyQt +
QML development somewhere?

E.g. say I'd like to refactor my backend and to rename some
signals/slots/methods, at the moment I first have to do the
refactoring in PyCharm, and then in Qt Creator. The Qt Creator
refactoring is error prone and have to be done manually, since Qt
Creator is oblivious to the Python parts of the application.

I would absolutely love an IDE that has deep Python/PyQt integration,
as well as support for QML. I'm not talking about visual design tools
for QML here, since I always end up writing the QML by hand, but
things like auto-completion and basic refactoring capabilities.

Anyone else out there doing midsize-large Python + QML applications?
What's your development setup like?

Cheers,
Elvis