[PyQt] PyQt5.7 & ICU

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Nov 14 10:17:48 GMT 2016

On 14 Nov 2016, at 10:09 am, Timothy W. Grove <tim_grove at sil.org> wrote:

> On 13/11/2016 22:58, Phil Thompson wrote:
>> On 13 Nov 2016, at 9:11 pm, Timothy W. Grove <tim_grove at sil.org> wrote:
>>> Am I correct in thinking that PyQt5 v5.7 doesn't depend upon the ICU
>>> libraries any longer, unless they are compiled into Qt from source? I
>>> once moaned about the size the icu dll's added to my application and now
>>> find that I may want them. :-(
>>>
>>> Another option may be to (try and) compile them separately and use pyICU...
>> PyQt knows nothing about ICU. Whether the DLLs are needed depends on how Qt is built.
>>
>> Phil
>
> You don't happen to know if Qt changed their policy on ICU dependence between 5.6 and 5.7? I rarely have anything to do with the Qt source directly but depend upon your binaries and now pip to install PyQt. I believe the binary installer for PyQt5.6 was configured to use the -icu flag and the icu dll's ended up in my application's directories once frozen, but I'm not seeing this now with PyQt5.7.

I no longer build Qt myself and rely on the binary installers. The wheel generator includes the ICU DLLs if it finds them in the Qt installation but doesn't complain if it doesn't.

There are a lot of inconsistencies in the Qt installers (even within commercial and LGPL for the same version). Any change in the ICU handling could be a deliberate decision or a "feature".