[PyQt] Can't get mypy to see PyQt5 stubs

David Cortesi davecortesi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 23:56:34 GMT 2016

So I installed PyQt5.7 from source, producing plentiful Q*.pyi "stub" files.

I have placed copies of these in the default locations, which on my MacOS
system is

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/PyQt5

I have also copied them into the mypy distribution, at

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/mypy/typeshed/third_party/3/PyQt5

And also in a separate folder named "stubs" the path to which is stored in
the environment variable MYPYPATH.

Despite this redundant redundancy, when I apply mypy to a module that
imports PyQt5.QtCore it says,

    display.py:96: error: No library stub file for module 'PyQt5.QtCore'
    display.py:96: note: (Stub files are from
https://github.com/python/typeshed)

Any suggestions are most welcome...