[PyQt] deploying PyQt5 app for the first time using pyqtdeploy

umbertofilippo at tiscali.it umbertofilippo at tiscali.it
Tue Oct 25 18:35:01 BST 2016

  Thank you Phil for your answer

Anyway, I ended up using Pyinstaller,
which seems much simpler to my non-expert eyes.
I was able to create an
executable for windows through it quite easily. However, I am facing
another problem now (viewing JPG images in my applications).
I posted
another mail to this regard (see also "pyinstaller and images
[4]").

Thanks for your support!

[2]wrote:

>> Hello everybody. I am new to this mailing list and to
app deployment. I just finished my first app with PyQt5: it's a basic
Memory game, made of one python script, a folder of images and a folder
of sound effects. The app is working fine (although something might
still be missing), and I now would like to deploy it using pyqtdeploy. I
am currently working on Ubuntu 16.04, in an python virtual environment
(created through conda), where I installed PyQt5 and pyqtdeploy. I'd
like to be able to set up a deployment framework so that I would be able
to deploy to different platforms (desktop and mobile) the easiest way. I
am beginning with Windows (as most of my friends have it). However, as I
am completlely new to this kind of stuff, I am finding difficult to
follow the tutorial at
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/pyqtdeploy/tutorial.html [1]. First of
all, I downloaded and installed pyqtdeploy to my virtual env succesfully
(using pip after activating the conda env) and I am able to run the GUI.
There are many things I miss anyway. For example: how do I add my
folders to my project (images and sounds)?

> They are part of the
Application Source.

>> And, should I be able to produce an executable
which I can simply pass to my friends who can try it by simpling double
clicking it, or is there much work I will be supposed to do after using
pyqtdeploy?

> They will get embedded in the application executable.
You can access them as files so long as you use the PyQt file handling
classes (rather than the Python ones). See
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/pyqtdeploy/pyrcc.html [3]

Con Smart 3 Giga a 9 euro/4 sett navighi veloce, chiami e invii SMS dal tuo smartphone verso tutti i fissi e mobili in Italia. Passa a Tiscali Mobile! http://casa.tiscali.it/mobile/