[PyQt] Attempting to reduce the memory footprint of my PyQt5 application

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Thu Sep 8 11:08:23 BST 2016

* oliver <oliver.schoenborn at gmail.com> [2016-09-08 00:26:03 -0400]:
>    2. consider using Python slots (unrelated to Qt slots) for large numbers
>    of objects stored in lists

Note this only helps when you actually have *a lot* of equal,
immutable objects, like here:
http://tech.oyster.com/save-ram-with-python-slots/

I wouldn't recommend it as a general thing, as it definitely makes
code less maintainable.

> All that being said, you should probably dig deeper into into all of the
> above only when you determine you have a memory leak or are using gigs more
> memory than necessary.

Right - I think the most important thing - before blindly trying to
fix things - is to measure, not guess.

There are various memory profilers for Python, I usually use Pympler:
http://pythonhosted.org/Pympler/

Maybe also try playing with a C++ memory profiler (like valgrind):
http://valgrind.org/

Though I had mixed success with that, and it's *really* slow.

Florian