[PyQt] Custom docstrings and complete signature

Denis Rouzaud denis.rouzaud at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 12:27:33 GMT 2017

Le sam. 2 déc. 2017 à 08:22, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> a
écrit :

> On 2 Dec 2017, at 11:51 am, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > It doesn't integrate the signature because we provide our own docstrings
> from the c++ headers.
> >
> > I was hoping for an automation of:
> > - getting the signature in the pythonic way
> > - getting all the overloaded methods listed
>
> First off, docstrings are different to documentation. The former are only
> generated for objects that actually *do* exist. The latter is generated for
> all objects that *might* exist. For example, you want documentation to
> include platform-specific APIs but docstrings can only include the current
> platform. You need to take that into account when deciding how you are
> going to automate the documentation.

Thanks for the warning, that's something I did not pay attention to yet. I
don't think there is a lot of concern here for our project, not sure though.

> Just considering the docstrings for now you could provide a patch to sip
> that make the %Docstring directive work the way you want. For example, add
> a "generated" option that could have values of either "before", "after" or
> "discard". The default value would be "discard" (to maintain compatibility).

Hey, that would be awesome. Is that something you could achieve for us/me?
If fundings are needed, I could ask the project for some.
Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,
Denis