[PyQt] PyQt releases with private SIP?

Terekhov, Mikhail termim at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 20:31:22 GMT 2017

On 2/18/17 13:34, Phil Thompson wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2017, at 6:23 pm, Mikhail Terekhov <termim at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Right now every time new release of SIP and PyQt5 comes out we need to
>> recompile PyQt4 as well even if it was not changed. Would it be possible
>> to have PyQt5 release with private SIP? That would make it much easier
>> to have multiple PyQt versions installed simultaneously. Yes, it is
>> possible to have separate VE for different versions but too many VEs
>> quickly becomes VE hell.
> You only need to recompile PyQt4 if the major version of the ABI changes. That should happen very infrequently.

In theory that is true, but it happened several times in the past when I
updated packages on OBS with new minor releases of PyQt4 and SIP but
didn't update QScintilla  and then loading Qsci resulted in segmentation
fault until QScintilla package was not recompiled.

Another case would be Windows - rebuilding here is a major undertaking
and having independent versions here would be very convenient.

BTW leaving old version forever working without maintenance and
recompilation is a Good Thing (tm) :)

Regards,
Mikhail