[PyQt] ANN: PyQt v5.8 and SIP v4.19.1 Released

Pou Belle belepoub at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 11:40:59 GMT 2017

Sibylle wrote :

>> Thanks Sibylle. I already had the PATH pointing to the bin directory,
but didn't work.>>
>> I finally found the solution :  I had to install vcredist_2013
(Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable)

>> It's really strange, because python 3.5.2 and PyQt5.7.1 are both using
vc2015, so I assumed they would refuse to work with a vc2013 library.
>> Life is strange ;-)
>>
>It seems that PostgreSQL wants that library. At least the update to 9.6.2
started with "Setup Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable".

>But does that mean this must be installed on every machine accessing a
PostgreSQL database with a PyQt5 client application?

>Greetings,
>Sibylle

I think so.
If you want an all-in-one package, you can still use PyQt5.6, it contains
absolutely everything needed to work with PyQt/Qt.
When the wheels replaced the exe (when moving from 5.6 to 5.7), a lot of
stuff was removed from the package.

It's sometimes difficult to know what's missing, until you hit a problem.
I have seen threads on a few forums, that try to list what you need to
install to get the same stuff as before wheels, but most of them are
incomplete.

So far I have found these steps :
-Install PyQt.
-Install Qt to get designer.exe and Qt5DesignerComponents.dll
-Install pyqt5-tools to get pyqt5.dll if you want to use custom widgets in
Designer. But pyqt5-tools is not maintained for all PyQt versions, so I
avoid it.
-Install MySQL to get libmysql.dll
-Install PostgreSQL to get libpq.dll
-Install vcredist_2013, or PostgreSQL will not work.