[PyQt] PyQt5 + AppImage

Elvis Stansvik elvstone at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 17:47:14 BST 2017

Den 7 juli 2017 9:15 em skrev "Damon Lynch" <damonlynch at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 5:58 AM, Kyle Altendorf <sda at fstab.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2017-07-06 23:18, Damon Lynch wrote:
>>
>>> * The font may not be aliased.
>>> * The font may be a serif font, instead of sans serif.
>>

>> Those seem like reasonable things to vary per distribution, or even just
by user settings.  Are you saying that they vary but do not actually match
the distribution defaults?  Or, are you wanting to override all
distribution and user settings and force your application to look
'consistent' with itself instead of fitting in?

> To clarify, the font problem is that when running as an AppImage, the
fonts do not look the same as when the same application runs in the same
distribution for the same user when that application is installed with pip.

> In other words, the pip installed version looks great, but the AppImage
one can look awful and very much out of place. Here is a composite image
(43 kB) that illustrates the problem on two different distros:

> http://damonlynch.net/rapid/screenshots/beta/appimage-font-problem.png
>
> The image illustrates that with the first distro, the AppImage font
changes to a serif font, which is wrong.

> With respect to Simon's point about the legality of font aliasing, it's
entirely possible I'm using the wrong terminology for what I thought was
aliasing. Perhaps the correct term is hinting? In any case, as can be seen
in the second pair of images, the hinting / aliasing is different in the
AppImage. I suspect the first pair of images also have the same hinting /
aliasing problem.

> Although the distributions are different (Fedora and Ubuntu derived
respectively), that's not the determining factor, as an AppImage in Kubuntu
looks like it does in the Korora install.

On my phone now so will be brief: are you bundling freetype / fontconfig in
the AppImage? Perhaps the AppImage version of fontconfig is not picking up
the system hinting settings due to differing versions in system vs AppImage?

Elvis