[PyQt] pyrcc: "-name" does not do anything

Anonymous Maarten anonymous.maarten at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 22:52:20 BST 2017

On 22 July 2017 at 11:34, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:

> On 20 Jul 2017, at 5:29 pm, Maarten Anonymous <anonymous.maarten at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hey,
> >
> > The -name argument of pyrcc does not do anything.
>
> It never has done.

Will it ever? Maybe print a warning?

> > When looking at the sources,
> > the `mInitName` member of `RCCFileInfo` in https://github.com/baoboa/
> pyqt5/blob/d9f32341e81ff3c29269c738cdfc1ba8b73db1f3/pyrcc/rcc.cpp and
> https://github.com/baoboa/pyqt5/blob/d9f32341e81ff3c29269c738cdfc1b
> a8b73db1f3/pyrcc/rcc.h#L80-L81 is not used anywhere.
> >
> > That makes it impossible in Python to import a rc module without
> registering it immediately.
>
> I don't see how fixing -name would make any difference.

pyrcc -h says the -name flag creates an external initialization function
with name.
My interpretation of that flag was that it could change the name of the
qInitResources and qCleanupSources functions (and not automatically call
them).

> I'm happy to add a new flag that suppresses the call to the registration
> function so that you can call it yourself later on.

That would completely solve my initial problem.
Right now I am importing the resources module but not using any function.
Linters are complaining that I am not using that module.