[PyQt] PyQt/PyCharm/PEP problem with PyQt types

J Barchan jnbarchan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 09:38:21 GMT 2017

Thank you both, for the same solution.  I had noticed the Union[QWidget,
None] construct and wondered if that was the only way/what I'm supposed to
do in Python.  But it raises two questions, *and only solves one of the two
problems*:

1. I am "surprised" at the need to do this from Python every time an object
might have value None.  It's "cumbersome" compared to the way NULL/0 is
handled from C++, where it's always an acceptable value for any Object*
parameter/return value.  Do you guys really write that for every place None
is acceptable?

However, even if I find it "ugly", I agree I can use that for my own
functions, e.g. a return value.  I can use this for the first of my
examples, only.

2. The problem is unsolved where a *PyQt* function accepts/returns None.
The second example I gave is calling QWidget.setParent(None).  The
declaration of this in QtWidgets.pyi is:

    def setParent(self, parent: 'QWidget') -> None:

Following your solutions, this *ought* to have been:

    def setParent(self, parent: typing.Union['QWidget', None]) -> None:

But the problem is that it *isn't* defined like that in the .pyi, and I
can't help that.  And it's not just that function, it's lots of others too
which accept or return None, so this issue keeps arising in my calling
code.  Was it PyQt's job to recognise this and generate a different
declaration or what?  Given where we are, I don't see any way of avoiding
the warning when calling such a PyQt function with None, do you?

--
Kindest,
Jonathan