[PyQt] UnicodeDecodeError with output from Windows OS command

J Barchan jnbarchan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 11:39:22 GMT 2017

​Oh, BTW, I meant to sy: you might want to look at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12468179/unicodedecodeerror-utf8-codec-cant-decode-byte-0x9c,
which shows I am not alone in this issue from Python/PyQt.

And if I understand it right, nobody came up with a robust solution from
Python.  Which is crazy, because as I keep saying, I have never had any
problem outside Python/PyQy/Qt treating it all as just bytes and not doing
any kind of decoding.  I don't see why I can't do that, and I don't
understand why I have to get involved in ​decoding now when I've never had
to.  If PyQt didn't hide QByteArray & QString from me and insist I have to
do it via native Python bytes & str types I don't see I would have any
problems?