[PyQt] Learning SIP Questions: Tutorial & setup.py

Eric Gorr ericgorr at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:49:13 BST 2018

I am trying to run through the simple C example at
http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/sip4/using.html#id7 and in the sample
configure.py, there is:

  import sipconfig

however, after doing, 'pip install sip', this import is invalid.

I assume the documentation has not been updated. What should configure.py
look like?

Does anyone have a simple python package example with a setup.py which
would show what a setup.py should look like so I can do:

  pip install -e .

and have it build my library and place it in the correct directory so it
can be used by another python module? For an example of what I am talking
about, see https://github.com/EricG-Personal/cffi_test which did to learn
more about cffi. I can do write something similar for SIP, but I cannot
find any documentation on this for SIP.

A couple of other things I noticed is that at
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/SIP, the link for 'here' in  "The
documentation for the latest release can be found here." is broken.

In https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/roadmap, it mentions
that v5 will be release in 2016, but it is now 2018 and it looks like the
version is still v4.