[PyQt] pyqtdeploy and Python Standard library limitations

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Wed Aug 1 15:05:14 BST 2018

On 1 Aug 2018, at 2:40 pm, Ken Busse <aksornsri1 at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Has anyone come across any support limitations of Python's Standard library with the usage of pyqtdeploy?
> I am asking this due to the pyqtdeploy web page's, "pyqtdeploy works by taking the individual modules of a PyQt application, freezing them, and then placing them in a Qt resource file that is converted to C++ code by Qt's rcc tool. Python's standard library is handled in the same way."
>
> I am beginning a project and this would be very helpful to know ahead of time. Should I just limit myself to what is available in the PyQt bindings or can I truly use everything available with the Standard library and it will be deployed across desktops and mobile platforms.

You can use anything in the standard library - so long as it is supported on the target platform.

> Can any other Python libraries/modules be used as well?

Yes. You may have to come up with a plugin to build them if you want to make them part of a single executable, but you can leave them as external libraries/modules if that is easier.

Note that pyqtdeploy is not a packaging tool - you may still want to create a platform-specific installation package.