[PyQt] pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7

Neil Jansen neil.jansen at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Feb 7 22:45:39 GMT 2018

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 5:28 PM, Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com>
wrote:

> On 7 Feb 2018, at 6:29 pm, Neil Jansen <neil.jansen at rockwellcollins.com>
wrote:
> > I'm trying to get the demo pyqtdeploy project working, and have
hopefully gotten past the openssl building step in my previous email.
> > Now I'm getting the following:
> > pyqtdeploy-sysroot: Unable to find an installation of Python v2.7.
> > [...]
> > It appears that the Qt5Component._build_from_source() in
lib\site-packages\pyqtdeploy\sysroot\plugins\qt5.py is hard-coded to use
Python 2.7's path when configuring and making, and installing qt5.

> On Windows it will use the registry - it doesn't need to be on PATH.

I see that it's trying to look into the registry to see where the Python
2.7 install directory is.  The problem is that I don't have Python 2.7
installed, so it's failing.  My questions was, is there some reason that
it's hard-coded to 2.7?  If I made edits to the file above to hard-code it
to 'C:\python35', for example, would that work?  Or does it require 2.7 for
some reason?

> > Why does building Qt5 require Python 2.7 to be on the PATH?  Especially
when pyqtdeploy requires Python 3.3 or later?  I didn't think that building
Qt5 required Python in any way at all.
> It does. I think it's just one module and I can't remember which one
offhand.

After some searching, I found this:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/windows-requirements.html  .. It says it requires
Python when building under Windows, but that's all it says.  Are you
implying that it requires Python 2.7 specifically?