[PyQt] A nasty licencing question

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Mon Jul 30 01:42:03 BST 2018

On Sun Jul 29 21:23:23 BST 2018, Sampsa Riikonen wrote:

> The questions is:
>
> Is this logic flawed?  Can the snippets be MIT licensed at all.. or must
> they follow the PyQt licensing scheme, i.e. either GPL or commercial.

My understanding is that the snippets on their own can be licensed however
you wish. The only issue occurs when you want to combine them with something
else.

However, I believe they can be combined with PyQt because the MIT license is
compatible with the GPL:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesCompatMean

I think that the combination of snippets + LIB + PyQt you might distribute
would be a combined work, so the whole work would fall under the terms of
the GPL. However, you didn't say what the license of LIB was, so maybe there
are other considerations to take into account.

> In the latter case, can the snippets be MIT licensed?

Licensing them under the MIT license is fine as long as the MIT and PyQt
commercial licenses are compatible, but I don't know enough about that to
comment.

David