[PyQt] Amharic text and QtLineEdit

Timothy W. Grove tim_grove at sil.org
Tue Mar 13 16:31:25 GMT 2018

Has anyone ever had trouble displaying Amharic text in a QLineEdit, or
had similar issues with other scripts to what I'm describing below?

When typing Amharic text into a QLineEdit on MacOS I'm not seeing the
expected text but blocks of horizontal lines in place of each character.
If I copy those blocks and paste them into some other (non-pyqt)
application the Amharic text appears. Conversely, if I type well-formed
Amharic text in another application and copy-and-paste that back into my
pyqt application, only those blocks of lines appear.

Something similar happens under Windows. (I can't repeat this myself,
but it's reported by another user) When Amharic is typed blank spaces
appear, like typing white text onto a white background. Again, the same
results as above for copying and pasting.

My input method for MacOS is Keyman with SIL-Ethiopic
(https://keyman.com/macos/).

I made a simple example below which only uses a dialog containing one
QLineInput, where the problem can be seen.

    /from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QDialog, QApplication, QLineEdit//
    //
    //class TestDlg(QDialog)://
    //    def __init__(self): //
    //        super(TestDlg, self).__init__()//
    //        le = QLineEdit(self)//
    ////
    //app = QApplication([]) //
    //dlg = TestDlg()//
    //if dlg.exec_()://
    //    pass////
    //app.exec_()/

    /
    /

Not much to go on, but I'm hoping that someone somewhere has seen
something like this before.

Best regards,
Tim