[PyQt] TypeError: setLayoutDirection(self, Qt.LayoutDirection): argument 1 has unexpected type 'ProxyMetaclass'

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Sun Aug 4 03:04:01 BST 2019

While reworking my code to correct the errors related to my previous
message I ran into another exception loading .ui files.  This one
doesn't seem to be related to 3.7.4 specifically and I ran my test all
the way back to pyqt5.8 with the latest micro for each minor version
failing.

Code and output at:
     https://gist.github.com/altendky/151ddfdab48d566330a2ad8099229153

The traceback ends up at:
       File
"/home/altendky/tmp/venv3.7.4/lib/python3.7/site-packages/PyQt5/uic/properties.py",
line 417, in setProperties
         getattr(widget, 'set%s%s' % (ascii_upper(prop_name[0]),
prop_name[1:]))(prop_value)
     TypeError: setLayoutDirection(self, Qt.LayoutDirection): argument 1
has unexpected type 'ProxyMetaclass'

Cheers,
-kyle