[PyQt] 5.14 and macOS: Immediate renderer process crash with QtWebEngine

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Dec 31 18:13:12 GMT 2019

Hey,

I just tried to upgrade to PyQt 5.14 on macOS, but a simple QtWebEngine
application like this:

# -----

import sys

from PyQt5.QtCore import QUrl
from PyQt5.QtWidgets import QApplication
from PyQt5.QtWebEngineWidgets import QWebEngineView

app = QApplication(sys.argv)

wv = QWebEngineView()
wv.renderProcessTerminated.connect(print)

wv.load(QUrl('https://qt.io/'))
wv.show()
app.exec_()

# -----

results in an immediate renderer process crash, making QtWebEngine unusable.

This is on macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, with Python 3.7 from Homebrew and the
PyQt 5.14 wheels. I'm also seeing the same issue on Travis CI, with both macOS
Mojave and High Sierra.

On the same machine, running the simplebrowser example from Qt Creator with
Qt 5.14 works just fine.

Any idea what's going on there, or how I could get more debugging information?
I tried running with "--enable-logging --v=8 --enable-in-process-stack-traces"
in the hope of getting Chromium to print more, but no luck...

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/