[PyQt] Failure to run PyQt5 installed as binary wheel

Pol Welter polwelter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:08:55 GMT 2019

Hello,

Today I updated PyQt on one of my machines, this seems to have broken my
install. I can reproduce the issue on multiple machines with the minimum
example below.

I am on Windows, running Python 3.7 (64-bit). I use a conda environment.

I can reproduce the problem when setting up an environment with the
following steps:

|> conda create -n pyqttest37 > activate pyqttest37 > conda install
python=3.7.2 > pip install pyqt5 > python -c "import PyQt5.QtWidgets"
Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found. |

The weird thing is, it does not seem to depend on any specific version
of PyQt5. For instance, the above installs 5.12. Before 5.11.3 was
working just fine, but reverting to it now gives me the same error.
Also I tested Py3.6, with the same result.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some issue with the wheels?
I am confused because the above installing process worked fine for many
years. Now, |pip install -U pyqt5| breaks any install and I yet have to
figure out how to revert. (Haven’t tried building from source yet; it’s
not particularly fun on Windows.)

Best
Pol

​