[PyQt] Qt/PyQt 5.9.x. Correct way to get an "enumeration flags" to return 0?

J Barchan jnbarchan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 07:56:14 BST 2019

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 21:28, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:

> On 10 Jul 2019, at 11:55, J Barchan <jnbarchan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> If I return QOrientations() that works, but I'm unsure if that guarantees
> to return zero.
>

> I've not tried this - not ready to update Qt yet - does this print 0 to
> confirm the value in the enum?
>
> print( int( QOrientations())
>
> Barry

I confirm that int( QOrientations() ) returns 0.  Assuming that is
consistent/deliberate and not random (which I imagine it is) I guess that
is what I will use here.

I am still a little troubled by the fact that I can convert enum to int via
int(QOrientations(enum_value)) but have trouble converting int to enum via
QOrientations(int_value).  However the latter does seem to be a PyCharm IDE
warning ("Unexpected type 'int', expected 'Orientations', 'Orientation'")
but works at run-time, so I guess it's OK even if I cannot find a formula
which works without warning.  It would be nice to see a PyQt expert
statement on what is the correct way to handle this not-unusual
requirement....

--
Kindest,
Jonathan