[PyQt] How to build pyqt sources to provide the same content than official wheel?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Sat Jul 20 13:41:52 BST 2019

On 20/07/2019 13:29, BPL wrote:

>> I don't see why it should be unusable. It will be the full
>> installation
>> (a wheel is a subset), use your existing Qt installation and can still
>> be uninstalled with pip.
>>

> Ok, maybe unusable hasn't been a good word (sorry about my English
> btw),
> what I meant is
> the artifacts produced by nmake install are a very small subset from
> the
> artifacts produced
> by the official pypi wheel, compare both:
>
> * Content produced by pyqt sources:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/nxhzst7f9ajtd3n/2019-07-20_14-10-42.txt
> * Content produced by pypi wheel:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kqbbeu6wsnx0s4z/2019-07-20_14-10-48.txt
>
> You can see there are a lot of missing submodules (pyd), also sip.pyd
> is
> missing and basically the Qt folder also missing...

configure.py will introspect your Qt installation to see what can be
built. If there are missing .pyd files then your Qt installation doesn't
contain the corresponding libraries.

You have to build the sip.pyd module separately as described in the
documentation.

> in addition, there are a lot of non-required sip files installed in the
> virtual env.

They are required if you are building other PyQt5 related packages from
source.

> So, is this because the way I've compiled pyqt from sources is not
> complete? or is it because after installing pyqt from sources I'm also
> required to do some extra manual steps...? What do you mean by "use
> your
> existing Qt installation"? copying it manually to the virtualenv?

You don't copy your Qt installation, PyQt (when build from sources) will
use it where it is.

>> That depends on when the fixed version of Qt is released.
>>

> Actually, that's another question I'd like to ask you, what do you mean
> by
> "fixed version of Qt is released"?
> When developing pyqt, are you just using official packages from here
> https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/
> instead building yourself the Qt repos at some specific commit hash?

I never build Qt.