[PyQt] ANN: PyQt v5.12.3 Released

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Jun 28 17:33:26 BST 2019

I know exactly what the problem is I just needed the information to
confirm.

The short answer is that it will be broken for Python v3.7.0 to v3.7.3.
v3.7.4 and v3.8 should be fine. There is nothing PyQt can do about it.

The longer answer is that those versions of Python are built against
OpenSSL v1.1.0 but Qt v5.12.4 is built against v1.1.1. Because of where
Python installs its copy of the OpenSSL DLLs Qt is finding those rather
than the DLLs in the PyQt wheel.

The ideal solution would be for Qt to provide an API that sets the name
of the directory in which the DLLs can be found. Later versions of
Python also use v1.1.1 and that would allow the DLLs to be shared.

Phil