[PyQt] RFQ on PyQt End-of-Life Policy

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Mar 26 08:36:47 GMT 2019

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 09:12:47AM +0100, Giuseppe Corbelli wrote:
> On 3/25/19 12:19 PM, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > Comments welcome on the following...
> >
> > Phil
> >

> > When a new minor version of Qt is released an assessment will be
> > made  as to the state of current development and whether a new minor version
> > of PyQt5 should be released. If not then the existing GPL wheels will be
> > replaced with ones with that Qt release.
>
> On this point only I disagree since I would find two different PyQt5 wheels
> with the same name in two different timepoints.

The Qt version is part of the PyQt wheel name (as a build tag) - for example,
the current wheels are called PyQt5-5.12.1-5.12.2-cp[...].whl.

If pip treats a wheel with e.g. a 5.12.3 tag as newer (and also treats 5.13 as
newer than that, no matter the upload date of a newer 5.12 wheel), that should
work out well in my eyes.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP)