[PyQt] RFQ on PyQt End-of-Life Policy

Giuseppe Corbelli corbelligiuseppe at mesdan.it
Tue Mar 26 10:45:24 GMT 2019

On 3/26/19 11:08 AM, Phil Thompson wrote:
>>> minor version
>>> will be
>>>
>>> On this point only I disagree since I would find two different PyQt5
>>> wheels
>>> with the same name in two different timepoints.
>>
>> The Qt version is part of the PyQt wheel name (as a build tag) - for
>> example,
>> the current wheels are called PyQt5-5.12.1-5.12.2-cp[...].whl.
>>
>> If pip treats a wheel with e.g. a 5.12.3 tag as newer (and also treats
>> 5.13 as
>> newer than that, no matter the upload date of a newer 5.12 wheel),
>> that should
>> work out well in my eyes.
>
> ...and if I make a new wheel with the same version of Qt I add a letter
> to the build tag.

As long as the naming schema remains the current one (so no REPLACING
happens) I'm completely fine. What pip does is of course important but
may change in the future, so the wheel naming schema may be changed too.
My bottom line is: given a wheel name on PyPI it should be yielding
exactly the same file at any time.

> I also remove the previous wheels from PyPI but I’ve never been sure
> that that’s the right thing to do.

Matter of personal taste, but I would leave everything on PyPI once it's
an official release.

--
Giuseppe Corbelli