[PyQt] QtWebEngine uses up all memory and will not give it back!

Kevin Keating kevin.keating at schrodinger.com
Fri Oct 4 21:58:25 BST 2019

processEvents() will process everything other than DeferredDelete events, which is the type of event that gets created by deleteLater() calls.  That's intended (but confusing) behavior.  See https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qcoreapplication.html#processEvents.  In your example script, one potential fix is to not give MyDialog a parent, so change "dlg = MyDialog(self)" to "dlg = MyDialog()".  That should let PyQt destroy the dialog as soon as the Python reference count drops to zero, which would happen with "del dlg", "dlg=None", or on the next loop iteration.

If you need to parent the dialogs, another option is to use "sip.delete(dlg)" instead of "dlg.deleteLater()", which will trigger immediate deletion of the dialog instead of scheduling it for later.

- Kevin