[PyQt] Missing entry point OPENSSL_sk_new_reserve

J. Wester happyhondje at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 07:02:49 BST 2019

No, I don't, and it isn't for a lack of trying. I have spent the past few
hours trying to reproduce every bit of relevant code, but I can't seem to
get it to recreate in a small testcase. (The basic snippet exhibiting the
bug is literally the only time anything remotely involving a Qt socket is
done in the program...)

On a positive note, I had missed one particular line in my programs debug
logs that I had originally missed in the messy traceback:

qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket::connectToHostEncrypted: TLS initialization
failed

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell us anything new: looking at the Qt source
code it shows that every mention of that error message is for a failing
check against supportsSsl(), and assuming I read all the defines right,
that would likely be implemented as 'return ensureLibraryLoaded()'... which
the wonderful dialog box already confirmed for me.

Yet tracing it back further, I'd expect to find it in the
implementation of q_resolveOpenSslSymbols
in qsslsocket_openssl_symbols.cpp, but I don't see it trying to access the '
OPENSSL_sk_new_reserve' entry point at all. Hell, I don't see '
OPENSSL_sk_new_reserve' mentioned anywhere in the Qt 5.13 source... so I
have absolutely no clue why it is trying to load that. Then again, making
sense of the #define spaghetti that is supporting all those OpenSSL
versions is way beyond my mere capabilities.

Maybe I'll have some more luck tracking this down after a good nights rest.
Frankly, I am really hoping for it to be some really stupid mistake on my
part at this point. :-)

Thank you for the assistance thus far.
J. Wester