[PyQt] Build PyQt5 from source with PyQt5-sip binary?

Zach Pincus zpincus at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 19:49:56 BST 2019

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, but I'm struggling a bit to
build PyQt5 from sources on my Mac. (So that I may test the fixed
onexit scheme from a nightly snapshot.)

In particular, I had assumed that the pip-installed PyQt5-sip package
would be sufficient to install to build PyQt5. However, this package
does not seem to provide a `sip` executable that can be used for this
purpose. The description of the PyQt5-sip package on PyPI seems to
suggest that the code generation tool is part of the install, but
perhaps it isn't?
https://pypi.org/project/PyQt5-sip/

Anyhow, is there a way to get PyQt5-sip to produce an executable (or
another straightforward way to get a sip binary / executable), or do I
pretty much need to install sip from source (or from a package
manager) in order to build PyQt5?

Thanks a ton, and sorry again if this is obvious,
Zach