[PyQt] problems porting a project from sip4 to sip5

Steve Borho steve at borho.org
Thu Apr 16 23:52:09 BST 2020

Hello,

I maintain a couple of relates SIP projects that I am trying to port to sip5 and binary wheel distributions.  To keep things simple, lets say there is a C++ library for a widget foo, and Python wrappers that we’ll call pyfoo.

I have written a pyproject.toml for pyfoo such that sip-wheel can generate wheels which install a “foo” python package containing a pyfoo.so shared library. This wheel is 100% functional.

Next I have a fooapp which uses PyQt5 and has its own C++ functions which compile against Qt and the foo C++ library.  This gets compiled into qtfoo.so and it’s SIP wrapper includes:

%Import QtGui/QtGuimod.sip
%Import QtWidgets/QtWidgetsmod.sip
%Import QtNetwork/QtNetworkmod.sip
%Import foomod.sip

I have written a pyproject.toml for fooapp that sip-build can compile into a qtfoo.so and sip-wheel can create a wheel for it.  But no matter how I try and load the qtfoo.so it always errors with the message:

    from .qtfoo import get_qtfoo_version
RuntimeError: the foo.pyfoo module failed to register with the sip module

I get this error even though the previous line of Python code was able to import pyfoo.so from the foo package.  There is a binary dependency here that I can’t determine.

I read the documentation about standalone and package modules, and followed the steps to make a foo-sip wheel that installs foo/bindings/pyfoo/foomod.sip and the other sip files, but this did not seem to help with the library interdependency.

I’m missing something basic, any hints on where to look?

Thanks,
Steve Borho