ImportError: No module named 'PyQt5.sip'

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Tue Apr 28 22:08:08 BST 2020

With SIP v4 the code generator and the sip module were tied together.
Before private sip modules were introduced "building SIP" meant building
them both. This approach causes many problems...

- otherwise unrelated packages have a dependency on a common sip module
and may have conflicting version requirements. Private sip modules
(pioneered by Robin Dunn for wxPython) avoid this problem.

- the code generator and the sip module have the same version number. It
can make it impossible to upgrade the code generator (for bug fixes)
without having to upgrade the sip module. It also makes semantic
versioning impossible.

The SIP v5 code generator (ie. SIP) has its own (semantic) version
number.  The sip module has its own, completely independent, (semantic)
version number. The sip module is created using SIP v5's sip-module
tool. sip-module will build *any* supported version of the sip module
(see the --abi-version option). This means you can update SIP v5 to a
later version but still use an older version of the sip module.

Phil