pyqtdeploy demo build terminates with Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: x11extras

Frans Fürst frans.fuerst at protonmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:43:57 GMT 2020

Sorry for the messy first post - I thought I could use monospace fonts..

Here it is again in a readable format:

I'm experiencing the same issue as stated here: https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2020-September/043203.html but unfortunately Chris gave up and switched to iOS..
I've also asked a question on Stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/65059086/project-error-unknown-modules-in-qt-x11extras

Are there any updates?

I've tried to build the demo on Ubuntu 18.04, Debian 10, Fedora 31, Fedora 33 with all development related packages installed I can imagine, but I'm facing the same error again and again.

In native and dockered systems I've installed the following packages: python python3 python3-pip build-essential libssl-dev zlib1g-dev pyqt5-dev libqt5x11extras5-dev libgles2-mesa-dev
With pip Ive installed pyqtdeploy, sip, and PyQt-builder

I also experimentally (desperately) installed all Qt5 or X11 related dev packages (i.e. *qt5*-dev, *x11*-dev)

Then I tried to build the demo:

tar xf pyqtdeploy-3.1.0.tar.gz
cd pyqtdeploy-3.1.0/demo
python3 build-demo.py --verbose

Building Qt5 seemed to work fine but when it comes to PyQt5 I alway get

... 2h of compilation ...
Running 'sip-install --qmake /home/me/pyqt5/demo/sysroot-linux-64/Qt/bin/qmake --no-distinfo --concatenate 2 --no-docstrings --verbose'.
Querying qmake about your Qt installation...
/home/me/pyqt5/demo/sysroot-linux-64/Qt/bin/qmake -query
This is the GPL version of PyQt 5.15.0 (licensed under the GNU General Public License) for Python 3.7.7 on linux.
Found the license file 'pyqt-gpl.sip'.
These bindings will be built: QtCore, QtNetwork, QtGui, QtWidgets, QtX11Extras.
Generating the QtCore bindings...
Generating the QtNetwork bindings...
Generating the QtGui bindings...
Generating the QtWidgets bindings...
Generating the QtX11Extras bindings...
Generating the .pro file for the QtCore module...
Generating the .pro file for the QtNetwork module...
Generating the .pro file for the QtGui module...
Generating the .pro file for the QtWidgets module...
Generating the .pro file for the QtX11Extras module...
Generating the top-level .pro file...
Generating the Makefiles...
/home/me/pyqt5/demo/sysroot-linux-64/Qt/bin/qmake -recursive PyQt5.pro
sip-install: '/home/me/pyqt5/demo/sysroot-linux-64/Qt/bin/qmake -recursive PyQt5.pro' failed returning 3
Info: creating stash file /tmp/tmp1_ng3eyh/.qmake.stash
Reading /tmp/tmp1_ng3eyh/QtCore/QtCore.pro
Reading /tmp/tmp1_ng3eyh/QtNetwork/QtNetwork.pro
Reading /tmp/tmp1_ng3eyh/QtGui/QtGui.pro
Reading /tmp/tmp1_ng3eyh/QtWidgets/QtWidgets.pro
Reading /tmp/tmp1_ng3eyh/QtX11Extras/QtX11Extras.pro
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: x11extras
pyqtdeploy-sysroot: execution of 'sip-install' failed: returned exit code 1

I'm running out of ideas.. Can someone provide me with a hint how to locate the problem? What does "Unknown module(s) in QT" mean?

Is there a distinct list of dependencies needed for PyQt5 on Linux and for Linux? I've read https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/static/Docs/pyqtdeploy/demo.html#building-the-demo as recommended by Phil but I think I've installed all dependencies one can think of..