[PyQt] 5.14 and macOS: Immediate renderer process crash with QtWebEngine

Colin McPhail mcphail_colin at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 12:11:01 GMT 2020

On 1 Jan 2020, at 18:21, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org<mailto:me at the-compiler.org>> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 07:42:01PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
On 31/12/2019 18:13, Florian Bruhin wrote:
Hey,

I just tried to upgrade to PyQt 5.14 on macOS, but a simple QtWebEngine
application like this:

[...]

results in an immediate renderer process crash, making QtWebEngine
unusable.

I tried running with "--enable-logging --v=8
--enable-in-process-stack-traces"
in the hope of getting Chromium to print more, but no luck...

There will be something from a Qt installation that is new in v5.14 that is
missing from the wheel.

At this point, I'm pretty much out of ideas... I tried running with
--single-process in the hope of getting a stacktrace, but to my surprise, that
makes things work just fine. So I'm guessing it's indeed *something* wrong
around QtWebEngineCore.framework or QtWebEngineProcess?

Florian

--

I too have noticed these render process crashes. I'm using the PyQt 5.14 wheels and Python 3.8.1 from python.org<http://python.org> on macOS Catalina (10.15.2). Apple's Console utility app is showing me crash reports and I have attached one. I took a quick look at the source files it mentions and the renderer seems to be trying to locate a directory containing spelling checker dictionaries (?).

HTH
-- Colin