[PyQt] ANN: PyQt v5.14.1 Released

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Jan 7 08:52:26 GMT 2020

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 10:29:22PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > Would you be willing to rethink this until
> > https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/16782 is merged and released?
>
> Any idea of when that is likely to be?

I'd hope it gets into 3.8.2 which is planned in around a month:
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0569/#schedule

> > Then you could answer Florian's concern about tox environments by
> > telling users "upgrade to the latest version of python", rather than
> > "PyQt5 wheels are incompatible with tox and possibly some other
> > environments".
>
> The advice must always be to upgrade to a later version of pip, because
> that's the right advice. There is no need to force people to upgrade their
> version of Python.
>
> The issue here is the slowness of Linux distros in updating their packages.

Not only - as per my previous mail, a "python -m venv .venv" with Python 3.8.1
results in an older pip, even if your system-wide pip is up to date.

I guess you could advise people to first do a ".venv/bin/pip install -U pip"
every time after creating a virtualenv (even if their "normal" pip is up to
date), but that seems kind of unexpected to me.

Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/