[PyQt] Missing application resources when run in one Linux distro but not another

Maurizio Berti maurizio.berti at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 18:17:54 GMT 2020

Il giorno dom 22 mar 2020 alle ore 18:13 Damon Lynch <damonlynch at gmail.com>
ha scritto:

> I have to say packaging up applications for distribution is far from
> easy. In fact I'd say it's one of the most difficult aspects of
> developing and certainly maintaining a project, if not the most
> difficult. Dealing with the intricacies of setuptools / distutils,
> pip, package metadata, free desktop specs, and distro package
> databases -- there is an awful lot to learn, and so much that can go
> wrong.

I completely agree on this point.
I've been writing and maintaining a synth editor program in the last 4
years, and despite I use Linux and develop it there, I gave up on creating
a packaging for it (mostly because 99% of users are on MacOS and Windows),
so I decided to keep the project structure in a way that it can be run
directly from the a repository clone.
Luckily, Qt allows us to keep a decent level of consistence between all
platforms and I don't need nor want platform specific features. But, yeah,
Linux packaging is often a mess.

--
È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi