PyQt5 and Big Sur

Eric Larson larson.eric.d at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 12:50:02 GMT 2020

I recently updated to Big Sur (11.0.1). I have Qt5Agg set as my matplotlib
backend. Opening a matploltlib figure in interactive mode now causes the
interpreter to hang on 5.12 and 5.15.1. Even running a hello world
<https://pythonprogramminglanguage.com/pyqt5-hello-world/> example causes
the interpreter to hang.

I tried the same matplotlib code with pyside2, and there at least the
interpreter would not hang. For both PyQt5 and pyside2, however, no window
actually showed up, even though an icon did appear. So it seems at least
some of this is probably a problem at the level of Qt rather than PyQt5.

Should I just watch this upstream issue?

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-85546

Eric