PyQt6 and SIP v6 Snapshots Available

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Tue Nov 17 17:20:10 GMT 2020

On Tue, Nov 17, 2020 at 04:30:52PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:

> On 17/11/2020 15:37, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 05:06:42PM +0100, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > > PyQt6 and SIP v6 snapshots are now available on their respective
> > > download
> > > pages.
> > >
> > > Before you get too excited, PyQt6 currently builds against Qt5 but
> > > does
> > > include the planned incompatibilities with PyQt5 (summarised on the
> > > download
> > > page).
> >
> > It looks like this has changed in the meantime (despite the website
> > saying "at the moment it builds against Qt v5", I get "sip-build: Qt v6
> > is required, not v5.15.2").
> >
> > Is there a place I can get the latest PyQt6 snapshot which still builds
> > against Qt5? I'd like to prepare as much as I can for Qt 6, but at the
> > moment still can't test it, because QtWebEngine will only be available
> > around Qt 6.1 or 6.2:
> > https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-63235?focusedCommentId=533371&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-533371
>
> Sorry, no.
>
> The current state is that QtCore has been ported and builds without
> warnings. It's disappointing to see how little is in Qt v6.0.

I got my hands on an older snapshot and also tried the current one with
the Qt version check removed - but whatever I do, I get:

  sip-build: 'sip-module' must be set

https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqt/download mentions:
"To build the sip module for PyQt6, run: sip-module --project PyQt6.sip"
but that doesn't actually work.

Assuming that it should actually say "sip-module --project PyQt6-sip
PyQt6.sip", that doesn't show an error, but also doesn't seem to do
anything. I've tried running with --sdist and installing the resulting
sdist, but sip-build still gives me the same error. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Florian

--
me at the-compiler.org (Mail/XMPP) | https://www.qutebrowser.org