Pyqtdeploy plan for the end of qmake?

Patrick Stinson patrickkidd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:07:11 BST 2020

Looping back here after having time to verify how all this works.

sip5 becoming a self-contained build system finally made it possible to develop a pyqt5 app continuing proprietary sip extensions using the qt.io and python.org installers.

Though I see conceptual inconsistencies between how in-app sip extensions are handled by sip-build in the dev phase and pyqtdeploy-sysroot/pyqtdeploy-build in release phase, I think that overall the ability to use a python virtual env in dev instead of building everything from source removes a major bottleneck for pyqt5 developers.

I just hope the concepts don’t all change again with sip6….